Tips for influencing legislators:
- Be as specific as you can. Terms like “assault weapons” don’t have a technical meaning and can confuse the issue. You can learn more about this here. The Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence also has great information.
- You should advocate for specific measures:
- ensuring people who are the subject of restraining orders lose their access to guns
- closing the gun show loophole by requiring background checks
- allowing the CDC to do research on gun violence
- banning any device that can convert a semi-automatic weapon to the effective functioning of an automatic weapon, such as bump-stocks
- banning the manufacture, import, sale, or possession of high-capacity magazines
- Check out our general tips for writing a good letter to Congress
- Tell your story: Do you have kids in school who you are worried about? Has someone in your family been impacted by gun violence? Your story matters!
Include a photograph, if possible (it’s worth a thousand words!)